Skip to Content
L. Patrick Mulligan & Associates, LLC L. Patrick Mulligan & Associates, LLC
Call Us Today! 937-685-7006

How Do I Modify an Order for Spousal Support?


Spousal support, also known as alimony, is awarded in a divorce to the spouse with the lower income. The purpose of spousal support is to help bring balance to the life of the lower-earning spouse and to allow them to maintain their lifestyle both during and after the divorce. In this blog, we discuss different types of spousal support and how to modify an order for alimony.

Temporary Alimony

Temporary alimony is generally awarded as a short-term solution to assist with living expenses during the divorce proceedings. Although temporary alimony is awarded while the divorce is still pending, it will be terminated once the divorce is finalized.

Rehabilitative Alimony

When a spouse needs to embark on a new career or educational journey due to the divorce, they can seek rehabilitative alimony. This form of alimony is intended to pay for basic expenses that are essential for their education or a new career path. Rehabilitative alimony is also meant to be a temporary form of support until the spouse earns enough to support themselves.

Permanent Alimony

A permanent alimony award is a long term arrangement where one spouse makes monthly payments to the other to ensure both parties have an equal standard of living. A judge can order permanent alimony to pay for one spouse’s labor that was performed as a stay-at-home parent/caretaker or to cover their living expenses while they pursue a new career or degree.

Changing an Alimony Order

In order to change the amount of alimony you have to pay, you will have to submit evidence that supports your reasoning for making your request. Some states have waiting periods after the divorce that must be met before you can request changes to your spousal support orders.

Changes that justify spousal support modification include:

  • Losing your job
  • Getting remarried
  • Moving in with a significant other
  • You retire
  • You become seriously ill or disabled
  • Major changes in your income  

Dayton Family Law Attorneys

Our lawyers at L. Patrick Mulligan & Associates, LLC are here to help you modify your spousal support orders. We can review the details of your case and build a legal strategy that will establish your need to modify the amount of alimony you have to pay to your ex. Let us use our experience and extensive resources to pursue a fair case result on your behalf.

Call (937) 685-7006 to request a free consultation with a divorce lawyer in Dayton today. We are here to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 day a week.