Drug Crime Lawyer Dayton, OH
Defense for Drug Charges in Cincinnati & Dayton, Ohio
At L. Patrick Mulligan & Associates, LLC, our defense team handles a wide range of cases, including those involving drug crimes. If you have been accused of committing a drug crime, we can help defend you from this serious charge. Law enforcement is notorious about cracking down hard on drug crime, which is why it is one of the leading causes for incarceration in the U.S. If convicted of this serious offense, you could be facing imprisonment, fines, and a criminal record that may limit your employment and housing opportunities.
Types of Ohio Drug Crimes We Handle
Our Dayton drug crime lawyers have handled the following kinds of drug cases:
- Delivery or transport of controlled substances
- Sale of illicit drugs to minors
- Distribution of controlled substances
- Marijuana growth operations
- Manufacturing of crystal meth
The penalties for drug crimes depend on various factors, such as the type and quantity found in your possession.
For example, if a large drug amount is found in your possession, prosecutors may argue that your intent was to sell or distribute the drug. Our Dayton drug crime lawyers can help protect your rights amidst drug charges, both at the state and federal level.
Misdemeanor vs. Felony Drug Crimes in Ohio
When it comes to drug crime charges, Ohio state law classifies offenses into two main categories: misdemeanors and felonies. How your charge will be prosecuted will depend on the unique facts of your case, but both can pose substantial penalties and consequences. The following can help you better understand the difference between a misdemeanor and felony drug charges.
- Misdemeanor Drug Crimes – Misdemeanor charges are common in drug crime cases involving low level, nonviolent offenses, including drug possession, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession or cultivation of fewer than 200 grams of marijuana, and DUI / OVI of drugs. Even though misdemeanor drug crimes may not be felonies, they can still subject individuals to substantial penalties, including hefty fines and fees, license suspension, court-ordered classes, probation, and terms of imprisonment.
- Felony Drug Crimes – Felonies are the most serious level of crime in Ohio, and they carry the most severe penalties. Felonies are notable for the reason that they can subject convicted individuals to a minimum of 1 year in state prison, and often more. Felony convictions also result in a loss of driving privileges for up to 5 years and a loss of certain civil rights, including the right to vote and the right to own a firearm. Having a felony on your criminal record can also prove to be a long-term burden that limits opportunities for employment, professional licenses, and more. In regard to drug crimes, felonies are typically prosecuted when a case involves more serious offenses, large quantities of controlled substances, and other aggravating circumstances. Common felony drug crime charges include sale or distribution of drugs, drug trafficking, manufacturing, and more.
Drug crime cases are hinged on the unique facts and circumstances of a case, which means that a defense strategy must be tailored to the situation at hand. In all cases we handle, our firm works to fully investigate the allegations and create a defense strategy that produces the best possible resolution. This may include exploration of alternative sentencing options such as drug diversion when possible, reduction of charges from felonies to misdemeanors, mitigation of penalties, or a fight at trial.
Federal Drug Crime Cases in OH
In larger drug crime cases, the stakes can be raised even higher when the federal government becomes involved in an investigation or prosecution. If you or someone you know is currently under investigation for a federal drug crime or have been charged with a federal crime involving drugs, you need to know that there is a lot on the line. Federal cases are handled by government agencies with tremendous resources, and their goals are to gain convictions.
Additionally, federal drug crime cases, such as those involving trafficking, are known for resulting in incredibly harsh sentences and for implementing mandatory minimums that prevent judges from using their discretion when sentencing offenders. For these reasons, and because federal cases are unique and demand specially licensed attorneys, you should be intent on speaking with a member of our team as soon as possible when federal allegations are involved in your case.
Boasting More Than 50 Years of Combined Experience
Our dedicated law firm has more than 50 years of combined legal experience in serving men and women in Ohio. Nothing is more important to us than being able to make the voice of an accused individual heard in order to ensure a fair trial. It is no wonder that we have been honored with inclusion among the Top 100 Trial Lawyers.
Why should you choose to entrust your case to our Dayton drug crimes attorneys? Consider the following reasons:
- Our firm's founder is a Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
- We are not afraid to take your case to trial
- We have handled thousands of cases
Begin Building a Strategic Defense for Your Drug Case in Ohio
Our firm proudly extends its legal services to individuals living not just in Dayton, but also throughout Cincinnati.
No matter how complex or hopeless your case may seem, our firm is determined to secure the most positive outcome possible. Don't let a drug crime charge change the course of the rest of your life.