Cincinnati Drug Crimes Lawyer
Defending Against Drug Crime Charges in Hamilton County, OH
America’s “War on Drugs” and Ohio’s long-standing battle with the opioid epidemic have created a tough stance on crimes involving controlled substances. Today, defendants accused of drug crimes face serious penalties upon conviction, as well as lasting repercussions that can impact their freedoms and futures.
With stakes as high as these, anyone facing allegations involving drugs—whether it be a misdemeanor, felony, or federal crime—should be intent on working with an experienced Cincinnati drug crimes attorney.
Since 1994, our legal team at L. Patrick Mulligan & Associates, LLC has been fighting on behalf of those charged with all types of crimes involving drugs and various illicit substances. Backed by decades of experience and thousands of successfully handled criminal cases, we have the insight and resources to help defendants protect their rights, freedoms, and futures.
Have you been accused of a drug crime? Call L. Patrick Mulligan & Associates, LLC, today at (937) 685-7006 or contact us online for a free, confidential consultation with our Cincinnati drug crimes attorneys. We are available 24/7.
Types of Drug Crime Cases We Handle
By leveraging our experience in criminal defense, our Cincinnati drug crimes lawyers represent those charged with:
- Drug possession/possession of drug paraphernalia
- Prescription drug crimes
- Possession of drug documents
- Deception to obtain a dangerous drug
- Drug trafficking/sales
- Marijuana offenses, including cultivation
- Federal drug crimes
What are the Penalties for Drug Crimes in Ohio?
Drug crime allegations and potential penalties depend largely on the individual facts and circumstances of your case, including:
- Nature of the alleged crime
- Type of drugs involved
- Amount of drugs involved
- Your criminal history
In some cases, particularly those involving first offenses, misdemeanors, and certain low-level felony charges, there may be opportunities for pursuing Diversion or Intervention in Lieu of Conviction, which upon successful completion, may result in a case dismissal and no conviction.
Some cases involve more serious allegations, including serious felonies such as:
In these situations, the potential for lengthy terms of imprisonment makes a solid defense all the more important. In cases involving federal charges, which may trigger life-altering mandatory minimum sentences and potential decades in prison, working with Cincinnati drug crimes attorneys who have experience handling federal criminal cases is crucial.
Defenses Against Drug Crime Charges
In the state of Ohio, drug crimes are taken very seriously and can lead to harsh penalties. Although, there are several legal defenses that a defendant can use when facing drug charges. Some of these defenses include:
- Unlawful search and seizure: If law enforcement performed an illegal search and seizure, any evidence that was found may be inadmissible in court.
- Lack of knowledge or intent: If you were unknowing that the substance in your possession was illegal or if you did not have the intention to use it for illegal purposes, you might have a defense.
- Entrapment: If law enforcement influenced you to commit a crime that you wouldn't have otherwise committed, you could be able to use entrapment as a legal defense.
- Insufficient evidence: If the prosecution lacks enough sufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you executed the crime, you may be found not guilty.
- Medical necessity: In some instances, those who use illegal drugs for medical reasons may be able to claim that their use of the drug was medically necessary.
The available defenses will be dependent on the circumstances surrounding the particular case. Our Cincinnati drug crimes lawyer from, L. Patrick Mulligan & Associates, LLC, is here to help evaluate your specific situation and determine the best defense strategy for your case.
Contact Our Drug Crimes Attorney in Cincinnati Today
Drug crime allegations put a lot on the line, which is why timely action and legal representation are so vital to helping you take the right steps toward protecting your rights, exploring your options, and pursuing the best resolution possible. From investigating the circumstances surrounding your arrest and challenging the government’s allegations to pursue reduced charges or alternative sentencing options, our Cincinnati drug crimes attorneys are equipped with the breadth of experience you need to make the most of your due process rights.
L. Patrick Mulligan & Associates, LLC is comprised of experienced and award-winning defense attorneys who have dedicated their professional careers to guiding clients through difficult and unfamiliar legal proceedings.
Contact L. Patrick Mulligan & Associates LLC today to get started on your defense with our Cincinnati drug crimes lawyer.