Cincinnati Tax Evasion Lawyer
Aggressive Defense Against Tax Evasion Charges in Ohio
When facing allegations of tax evasion, it is crucial to have a seasoned legal team by your side to navigate the complexities of the legal system. At L. Patrick Mulligan & Associates, LLC, our tax evasion attorneys in Cincinnati are committed to providing strategic defense for individuals grappling with such serious charges. We understand the gravity of these accusations and are ready to stand by your side, leveraging our extensive legal expertise to protect your rights.
Call L. Patrick Mulligan & Associates, LLC today at (937) 685-7006 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our tax evasion attorney in Cincinnati.
What is Tax Evasion?
Tax evasion is a serious white-collar crime that involves intentionally underreporting income, inflating deductions, or engaging in other deceptive practices to reduce tax liability. In the eyes of the law, tax evasion is a deliberate attempt to evade paying owed taxes. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and state tax authorities take these offenses seriously, vigorously pursuing investigations and prosecutions to maintain the tax system's integrity.
What are the Penalties for Tax Evasion in Ohio?
The consequences of a tax evasion conviction in Ohio can be severe, ranging from substantial fines to imprisonment. Understanding the potential penalties is essential for anyone facing these charges.
- Fines: Individuals convicted of tax evasion may face substantial fines, depending on the offense's severity and the amount of taxes evaded.
- Imprisonment: A conviction for tax evasion can result in significant prison sentences. The length of imprisonment varies based on factors such as the amount of taxes evaded, prior convictions, and the presence of aggravating circumstances.
- Restitution: In addition to fines and imprisonment, individuals convicted of tax evasion may be required to pay restitution to the government for unpaid taxes.
Defenses Against Tax Evasion Charges
Some common defenses against tax evasion charges may include:
- Lack of Intent: One key element of tax evasion is the intent to deceive. We can meticulously examine the evidence to challenge the prosecution's claim of intent, aiming to demonstrate that any discrepancies were the result of inadvertent errors rather than a deliberate attempt to evade taxes.
- Errors and Omissions: Tax documents are complex, and mistakes can easily occur. We can scrutinize financial records and tax filings to identify any errors or omissions that may have contributed to the allegations of tax evasion.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If law enforcement obtained evidence through an illegal search or seizure, it may be possible to have that evidence excluded from court. We can thoroughly examine the methods used by law enforcement to gather evidence to ensure that our client's constitutional rights were not violated.
- Negotiating a Settlement: In some cases, negotiating a settlement with tax authorities may be a viable option. We have extensive experience in negotiating favorable settlements that address tax issues without the need for protracted legal battles.
Contact Our Tax Evasion Attorney in Cincinnati Today
The consequences of a conviction can be severe, impacting your financial stability and personal freedom. At L. Patrick Mulligan & Associates, LLC, our Cincinnati tax evasion lawyers are ready to provide the strategic defense you need. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and take the first step towards safeguarding your rights and building a robust defense against tax evasion charges. We are committed to advocating for your best interests and achieving the most favorable outcome possible in your case.
Contact L. Patrick Mulligan & Associates, LLC, today to get started with our Cincinnati tax evasion lawyer.