As sex crimes attorneys, we are frequently asked about which convictions require registry on the state’s list of sex offenders. Ohio’s registry of sex offenders shows where people convicted of sex crimes live, work, and go to school. A quick glance at the registry will reveal that thousands of people living in the state have been required to register as sex offenders.
In 2017, nearly 20,000 people were registered as sex offenders in Ohio. The state of Ohio has 3 classifications for people convicted of sex crimes. Sex offenders classified under tier 3 sex crimes must register every 90 days for the rest of their life. Offenders listed under tier 1 are required to annually register for 15 years. Registration requirements can be shortened to 10 years for tier 1 convictions if the offender meets certain conditions.
Below, we list the crimes that require a person to register as a sex offender.
Tier 3 Sex Offender Crimes
The following crimes require sex offender registration under tier 3:
- Sexual battery
- Murder with sexual motivation
- Aggravated murder with sexual motivation
- Kidnapping a minor for the purpose of engaging in sexual activity
- Kidnapping of a minor
- Sex offenses that occur after an offender has been classified under tier 2 or tier 3
Tier 2 Sex Offender Crimes
Tier 2 sex offenders have to register every 180 days for 25 years. These crimes require offenders to register under tier 2:
- Pandering obscenity involving a minor
- Pandering sexually oriented material involving a minor
- Compelling prostitution
- Illegal use of a minor in nudity-oriented material or performance
- Kidnapping with sexual motivation
- Abduction with sexual motivation
- Sex offenses that occur after an offender has been classified under tier 1
Tier 1 Sex Offender Crimes
If you are convicted of a tier 1 sex offense, you must register once a year for at least 15 years. The following are tier 1 sex offenses:
- Unlawful sexual conduct with a minor
- Gross sexual imposition
- Child enticement with sexual motivation
- Pandering obscenity
- Unlawful restraint with sexual motivation
Dayton Sex Crimes Lawyers
Are you facing sex crime allegations in Ohio? Do you need the skills of an experienced criminal defense lawyer to help you obtain the justice you deserve? Call our legal team at L. Patrick Mulligan & Associates, LLC to speak with one of our legal professionals about what we can do to protect your rights. Let us assess the details of your case and build a strong legal strategy for you today.